I know, Kid's Clothes Week is over for the season and that makes me incredibly slow. In my defense, though, I finished this project on the very first day. I just didn't get a chance to photograph it until now.
The was the number one goal on my Kid's Clothes Week list because my daughter's birthday is in two weeks and this is her party dress! Yay! Can't believe she is turning one already, but if it has to happen, she might as well look as cute as possible, am I right?
Her birthday is a "You Are My Sunshine" theme, because of the way she beams up at me when I sing it to her. Such a sweetie. So I had to come up with some appropriately sunny yellow fabric. I decided on Michael Miller Happy Tones Jemma in yellow for the dress and Michael Miller Happy Tones Cora in sunshine for the lining. Perfect, right?
I sewed the Geranium Dress by Made By Rae for the first time. I've been hearing about it for so long that I just had to try it out. It was a great, straightforward pattern with lots of fun options and I know I will make use of it countless times as my daughter grows. I decided on flutter sleeves, a gathered skirt and a notched neckline. I sewed up the 12-18 month size and it fits her just perfectly, though with not quite as much room to grow as I had hoped. Also, I sewed a diaper cover from the MADE pattern in the same fabric as the lining. Forgot to photograph that part.
For the back of the dress, I used vintage orange buttons from my grandmother's stash. They are maybe a bit too big for the dress, but were so pretty and the perfect shade so I just had to use them. I didn't get a photo, but these were still on the button card. They had been marked down from 39 cents to 35 cents, so someone (either my grandmother or my great-grandmother) just had to snatch them up! Haha, sounds like something I would do.
I had only a couple slight troubles with the pattern and those are definitely due to user error, not the pattern itself. First, the notched neckline was harder to perfect than I expected. I realized that you really do need to be super deliberate when sewing it to make it turn out right. Mine is ok but not great. Also, I had a little trouble with the lining at the very end. When I hemmed it under and then tried to "stitch in the ditch" from the front side to attach the lining to the dress, I wasn't catching all of the lining in my stitches. So the inside of the dress is not quite perfect, but I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to go back and try to make it more perfect.
No photos of my daughter wearing it, unfortunately, but if all goes as planned, you'll see some in her birthday party post in a couple weeks! :)